Monday, December 12, 2011

Mrs. Hancock's Completed Baby Stays

As you may remember, I have been struggling with the baby stays project. My last conflict centered around the appropriate fashion fabric (I had used green linen which I learned isn't an appropriate color).

So I removed the green linen...


...and choose Burnley & Trowbirdge's cinnamon camlet. It's a more appropriate weight (the green linen was a little sheer) and a more appropriate color.


I attached the new fashion fabric...


...and whip stitched the panels together.


I then bought an awl and marked where each eyelet should go.


Punching the eyelet holes was much easier than I had antiticapted thanks to my new tool. (Which much be the best $6 I ever spent!) 


For making the eyelets, I basically had to make two eyelets for each hole--one on the front and one inside.


I then added a scrap of printed cotton on the center front (to create a little cushion for comfort)...


...and laced them up with some cotton tape.


The shape of this pair of stays was rather boxy. I bent the pasteboard so it would better reflect a rounded body shape and would be more of a natural fit for Miss Hancock.


Up next - my little one will model her first pair of stays!



1 comment: